Saturday, March 11, 2017

Breaking Through Brick Walls

 If my students learn nothing else from me all semester, I want them to remember that perseverance matters more than perfection.  This week was by far the BEST week yet.  I’m trying to relearn the significance of perseverance as I teach it to my students. 

This week we started a unit on the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution.   There are major challenges to building a nation that’s founded on equality. (This concept is still true.)  In an attempt to see the complexity of building a nation we analyzed one of the Federalist Papers this week.  Analyzing documents forces students to think critically.  More often than not, they get overwhelmed by the number of pages in the document and insist, “Miss Lang, I can’t finish.”      In response to their worry, I replied by saying, “The only way you’ll ever get anywhere in life is if you try your very best! All I need you to do is try. “  

I went into education because I believe that young people are leaders who have a major impact in our world.  I try to encourage them with comments about character and making a difference each day.   On most days, I’m doubtful that students take this lesson with them but character education was the greatest gift I was ever given as a student.    This week I knew that a student heard my advice even if she didn’t listen to it.   She said,  “Miss Lang, that sounds like an inspirational message from the lid of a Snapple bottle.  I smiled and let her get back to work.       Her remark let me know that I'm at least starting to achieve my goal as teacher.... INSPIRE  OTHERS!

As I reflect on this week, I realize that there have been so many times when I almost quit on this journey.  Even if you have the best cooperating teacher it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the responsibilities of teaching--- with or without cerebral palsy.    Giving those words of encouragement to my students helped me remember, that trying my best has gotten me to this point.  

On Friday, I started class with, I’m glad you’re here.   Before we start decide if you need to get motivated or stay motivated and make this class your starting point.   My class erupted  in a light laughter because they were tired but in that moment, I gave them one option and that was to try!  

The author of   The Last Lecture writes,   “Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something” I broke though a brick wall!  At  least a few students are starting to understand that I believe in their potential.  

Breathe deeply and remember that perseverance matters more than perfection. Stay inspired!
















No comments:

Post a Comment